Joined a band: Yup, seriously. Never thought this would happen. Liceo Mariano Latorre takes its music and arts programs very seriously. For example, the school has a renowned orchestra and one of my students is a national champion violinist. One of the music teachers, the sub-director of the school, and four other Curanilahueans are members of a local band and practice twice a week in the evenings. When the teachers heard that I play piano and Erin plays guitar, the band immediately invited us to observe one of their sessions. Our observation quickly turned into more of a karaoke event as they insisted that Erin and I sing along to their songs. Subsequently, they asked if we would consider performing with them at some point. I can’t believe this but we both accepted under the condition that we have sufficient time to practice before this supposed performance. They decided that they want us to perform “I Can See Clearly Now," and at this point it’s unclear when we are expected to take the stage. I got the feeling the rest of the band knows and decided to keep things vague. Surprises are a constant occurrence and I wouldn’t be the least bit shocked if they suddenly decide that Erin and I should also play an instrument. I've begun adopting a saying to help explain the unexpected: "It's Chile." Plain and simply I never know what's going to happen next.
English Radio Program: I was very excited my first week when I heard that the high school has its own radio program; certainly a great and unexpected asset for a school in this small town. Last week one of the English teachers approached us with yet another surprise. The school had decided they wanted to start broadcasting a regular English program and Erin and I have been appointed to put it together along with three students. Just like that. No questions, ifs, ands, or buts. Done. In addition, we were instructed to begin that afternoon. All I could do was shrug my shoulders and say “sure, why not.” It sounded exciting and presented another opportunity to continue working with some of the more advanced students. Never mind that I’m caught completely off guard by this new directive and have no idea what I’m doing – it’s Chile.
We met that afternoon for about an hour and a half but only to discuss when we should meet to actually start the project. So essentially, this was a long meeting to discuss when we should have a meeting – brilliant. The 30 minute program will include interviews (starting with me and Erin), music news and information, and English music by various familiar pop/rock artists. Despite the fact that most of the listeners probably won't understand much of what is said, I'm excited and looking forward to continue working on the project. I never imagined I’d hear my voice on the radio, or that I’d ever be in a band for that matter. Adventure is what I wanted, and no matter how big or small, everyday is turning out to be one.
Fiesta del Camerón: It seems there’s reason to celebrate absolutely anything in this country. Saints’ days are important celebrations here along with all other typical holidays. There are a few random surprises though. Camerónes are basically crayfish and a specialty in Chile. Fiesta del Camerón is an annual festival dedicated entirely to the celebration of these little aquatic creatures. Saturday afternoon, my Chilean family and a few of our host mother’s friends attended the event. Camerónes were served in soups and in empanadas. There was spiced wine, beer, desserts, dancing, and singing. People gathered from all over the province. My host mother raved about how delicious the camerónes were. I tried to eat them but was not quite as impressed. It will be interesting to see what other surprise celebrations we might have…
Mapuche Culture: The Mapuche are an indigenous people who inhabited the southern regions of Chile. Their role in the country’s history has been an important one and on Sunday, we joined a few members of our church to spend the day observing, participating, and feasting at a traditional Mapuche ceremony. The event took place on a scenic lake about an hour south of Curanilahue. Surrounded by small sheep farms, hills, and the lake, there wasn’t a sound to be heard outside of our camp. It was very serene. Everyone packed food to share, pots and pans to cook, plates and utensils. Upon arrival early in the morning, we made fires to stay warm and start cooking. Next, the ceremony began. It was conducted almost entirely in the Mapuche language so it was difficult to glean much from it other than the fact that the navigational directions played an important role in the tribe’s customs as did a certain kind of tree which was more or less the focal point of the ceremony. Samples of the day’s meal were placed under the tree as everyone marched/danced around it to the beat of drums, flutes, and occasionally the sound of a horn. Afterwards, a prayer (Christian) was said and the food was served.


Throughout the rest of the afternoon, the marching/dancing around the tree would sporadically start again. Some participated, others chatted and watched, and some explored the area. Feeling like I had already marched in enough circles around the tree, I opted the latter two choices. It was all a little strange, but interesting nonetheless. How many opportunities does one have to observe and participate in such a unique and old tradition?

No comments:
Post a Comment