Our last week in Curanilahue was spent saying good-bye to all the teachers, students, and new friends we had made in the town. I celebrated my birthday on my last day in town, and learned that Chileans really know how to stage a first-class farwell ceremony. Our advanced students planned a surprise show for us. As I walked into the dark theatre, I could see the outline of their heads hiding behind the chairs. When the lights came on, they sang Happy Birthday in Spanish and English. What followed was a farewell slideshow reflecting on all the good times we had shared and thank you letters expressing their gratitude and friendship. Afterwards, we headed over to the cafeteria to eat cake, pie de límon, and open our parting gifts.
Turning 24 on the 24th of November in Chile is reason enough for a little extra celebration, but nothing could have topped sharing it with these wonderful students. I will miss them and look forward to contacting them later on in our lives and hearing about the exciting things they have accomplished.Farewell to La Comarca: La Comarca is a lounge bar in Curanilahue that Erin, Beto and I frequented when we had nothing else to do. It's not much to look at on the inside, but the beer is good and we made friends with the owners Gabriel and Rodrigo- two young and intelligent brothers with a hippy's philosophy on life, seeking to make a living and a little extra to finance their world travels. They are by far the most well-traveled Chileans I have met, which is exceptionally impressive considering they come from sleepy, little Curanilahue. The younger, Rodrigo, is a violinist/psychologist/travel-addict while the older Gabriel is the more mellow of the two and seems to handle most of the business at the bar. The name of the bar also adds a little character to the two - its named after J.R.R. Tolkien's "Shire" in Lord of the Rings. They both like the books and seemed to see some philosophical significance in the concept and decided to name their bar after it. I find it endearing.
The evening of November 24th was passed here at the bar, and to Erin's and my great delight, Gabriel had managed to find a Chilean bad that specialized in Celtic music to play at La Comarca. The band's name: "Eringo"! Appearing like a group straight out of the 1960s, they ascended the small stage and played an assortment of Celtic jigs with fantastic talent. I never would have guessed that I'd hear Celtic music in South America played by a group of hippies with a fiddler who looks a bit like Jesus. All I can say is that it was comically awesome.
Back to Santiago: We said our tearful good-byes to Gladys, Violeta, and my host teacher Patricia and made our way back to where it all began. I've never been one to cry during farewells and perhaps it was partly the fatigue from staying out at La Comarca until 4:00am the night before, but I lost it on the ride back to Santiago. I didn't realize how much I will miss them and the prospect that I may never see some of those people again was really saddening. I hope to stay in touch with some and hope they all continue to live happily in Curanilahue. 
Next stop, southern Patagonia and an epic hike through Torres del Paine...
No comments:
Post a Comment